Little Hereford  Herefordshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Hereford like this:

HEREFORD (Little), a village and a parish in the district of Tenbury, and county of Hereford. The village stands on the river Teme, adjacent to the Leominster canal and the Tenbury railway, near the boundary with Worcestershire and Salop, 3 miles W by N of Tenbury; and has a post office under Tenbury. ...

The parish contains also the hamlet of Dirty Middleton, and the township of Upton. Acres, 3, 550. Real property, £4, 882; of wliicli £12 are in the canal. Pop., 458. Houses, 97. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Sir Joseph Bailey. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Ashford-Carbonell, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £300. * Patron, the Bishop of Worcestei.. The church is ancient, of various dates; was well restored in 1852; and contains a piscina, sedilia, two ancient brasses, and several monuments. There are some charity cottages.

Little Hereford through time

Little Hereford is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Hereford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Hereford in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 18th June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Little Hereford".