Place:


Westleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Westleigh like this:

LEIGH (WEST), a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon; on the river Torridge, and on the Bideford railway, 2 miles NNE of Bideford. It contains a village of its own name, and the hamlets of East Leigh and Southcott; and its Post town is Bideford. Acres, 2,616; of which 160 are water. Real property, £2,804. ...


Pop., 491. Houses, 96. The property is divided among three. The manor was known to the Saxons as Westlega. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £159.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is ancient but good; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Westleigh through time

Westleigh is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Westleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Westleigh in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4255

Date accessed: 01st June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Westleigh ".