Place:


Kenchester  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kenchester like this:

KENCHESTER, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; on the Hereford and Brecon railway, 1 mile W by N of Credenhill r. station, and 5½ WNW of Hereford. Post town, Bishopstone, under Hereford. Acres, 533. Real property, £1, 136. Pop., 100. Houses, 23. The property is divided among a few. ...


A Roman station was here, called Magna Castra by Antonine, Kenceastre by the Saxons, and Ariconinm by Camden; and Roman roads went hence to Worcester and Wroxeter. The station occupied upwards of fifty acres; was of irregularly hexagonal outline; and had two openings to the W, and two to the N. Traces exist of small portions of the walls, of a temple at the E, and of a niche of Roman brick and mortar, called "the chair;" and vaults, a hypocaust, an altar, tesselated pavements, urns, coins, and other Roman relics have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £182. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, and measures only 50 feet by 17.

Kenchester through time

Kenchester is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kenchester itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kenchester in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4253

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kenchester ".