Place:


Virginstow  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Virginstow like this:

VIRGINSTOW, a parish in Holsworthy district, Devon; 5 miles N of Lifton r. station, and 6½ NNE of Launceston. Post town, Launceston. Acres, 1,274. Real property, £1,004. Pop., 141. Houses, 31. The manor belongs to H. Blagrove, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £103.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1852.

Virginstow through time

Virginstow is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Virginstow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Virginstow, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4248

Date accessed: 21st September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Virginstow ".