Place:


Lingen  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lingen like this:

LINGEN, a parish, with a village, in the district of Presteigne and county of Hereford; on a branch of the river Lug, 4 miles NE of Presteigne, and 4½ S of Bucknell r. station. Post town, Presteigne, Radnorshire. Acres, 2,283. Real property, with Willey, £3,589. Pop., 287. Houses, 63. The manor belongs to John Edwards, Esq. Remains of an old castle are near the village. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £70. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is plain, and has a belfry. Charities, £5.

Lingen through time

Lingen is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lingen itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lingen in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4241

Date accessed: 16th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lingen ".