Place:


Longtown  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longtown like this:

LONGTOWN, a village and a township-chapelry in Clodock parish, Hereford. The village stands on an affluent of the river Monnow, under the Black mountains, 1½ mile E of the boundary with Wales, 4¾ N by W of Pandy r. station, and 5 W by S of Abbeydore; contains a fragment of an ancient castle; and has fairs on 29 April, 22 June, and 21 Sept. ...


The chapelry is extensive; but the acreage of it is returned with the parish. Post town, Abbeydore, under Hereford. Real property, £4,912. Pop., 892. Houses, 184. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £68. Patron, the Vicar of Clodock. There are a Baptist chapel and a free school.

Longtown through time

Longtown is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Longtown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longtown in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4233

Date accessed: 28th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Longtown ".