Place:


Norton Canon  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norton Canon like this:

NORTON-CANON, a village and a parish in-Weobly district, Hereford. The village stands near the Moor-hampton station of the Hereford and Brecon railway, 3 miles S S W of Weobly; and has a post-office under Pembridge, Herefordshire. The parish comprises 2, 111 acres. Real property, £2, 990. ...


Pop., 334. Houses, 70. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £120. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is a good brick structure, with a stone tower. There are an endowed school with £8 a year, and charities £12.

Norton Canon through time

Norton Canon is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norton Canon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norton Canon in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4228

Date accessed: 26th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norton Canon ".