Place:


Timperley  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Timperley like this:

TIMPERLEY, a township and a chapelry in Bowdon parish, Cheshire. The township lies on the Manchester and Altrincham railway, 1½ mile ENE of Altrincham; contains a small village and numerous villas; and has a post-office under Manchester, and a r. station with telegraph. Acres, 1,628. Real property, £11,290; of which £60 are in quarries. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1,008; in 1861, 1,571. Houses, 317. T. Lodge, Pickering Lodge, and Cloverley House are chief residences. Market gardening is largely carried on.—The chapelry was constituted in 1852. Pop. in 1861, 2,256. Houses, 453. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £200.* Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1849, and enlarged in 1865. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £20.

Timperley through time

Timperley is now part of Trafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Trafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Timperley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Timperley, in Trafford and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4224

Date accessed: 29th July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Timperley ".