Place:


Littleham  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Littleham like this:

LITTLEHAM, a parish, with a village, in Bideford' district, Devon; on the river Yeo, immediately above its influx to the Torridge, 2 miles S of Bideford town and r. station. Post town, Bideford. Acres, 1,250. Real property, £1,858. Pop., 408. Houses, 79. The manor was held by the Conqueror's wife, Matilda; and passed to the Stapletons, the Butlers, the St. ...


Legers, the Bassetts, and others. The parish is noted for the brewing of App's ale. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £208. * Patrons, the Rev. J. L. Harding and Miss Anthony. The church was built about 1500; is in good condition; has a square tower; and contains very fine polished oak carving. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a parochial school.

Littleham through time

Littleham is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Littleham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Littleham, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4201

Date accessed: 17th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Littleham ".