Kenn  Devon


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kenn like this:

KENN, a village and a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon. The village stands on the Kenn rivulet, under Haldon Hill, 2¼ miles SW of Exminster r. station, and 4½ S by E of Exeter; was formerly called Kenne; figures in old records as a borough, and has postal communication with Exeter.—The parish contains also the hamlet of Kennford; includes the isolated estate of Perridge, about 7 miles from the village; and comprises altogether 5, 412 acres. ...

Real property, £7, 229. Pop., 1, 064. Houses, 213. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Courtenays, the Oxenhams, the Aclands, and others; and belongs now to Sir L. V. Palk, Bart. Haldon Hill, noticed in our article HALDON, is partly within the parish. Pen Hill is crowned by Lawrence Castle, a structure of three stories, erected by the late Sir R. Palk, Bart., to the memory of General Lawrence. The estate of Perridge belongs to J. Gregory, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £681.* Patron, J. H. Ley, Esq. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower; and contains a fine car ed screen and an ancient font. There are a Wesleyan chapel, national schools, and charities £37.

Kenn through time

Kenn is now part of Teignbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teignbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kenn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kenn, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 20th June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kenn".