Place:


Holcombe Burnell  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holcombe Burnell like this:

HOLCOMBE-BURNELL, a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon; 4 miles W by S of Exeter r. station. Post town, Exeter. Acres, 1,836. Real property, £1, 273. Pop., 242. Houses, 46. The property is divided among a few. Holcombe House was built in the time of Henry VIII., and is now a farm-house. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £195. * Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with S porch and W tower; was rebuilt, excepting the tower, in 1843; and contains a finely decorated Easter tomb.

Holcombe Burnell through time

Holcombe Burnell is now part of Teignbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teignbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holcombe Burnell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holcombe Burnell, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4180

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Holcombe Burnell".