Place:


Bishopton  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishopton like this:

BISHOPTON, a township and a parish in Stockton district, Durham. The township lies 2 miles SSW of Stillington r. station, and 5½ WNW of Stockton-upon Tees; and has a post office under Stockton. Acres, 2,102. Real property, £3,077. Pop., 342. Houses, 80.—The parish includes also the townships of Little Stainton and East and West Newbiggin. ...


Acres, 4,031. Real property, £4,699. Pop., 448. Houses, 99. The property is subdivided. There are vestiges of an entrenchment, supposed to have surrounded the mansion of Roger de Conyers, who, in the time of King Stephen, resisted and overcame William Cumyn, an insurrectionary and devastating pretender to the see of Durham. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £250.* Patron, not reported. The church is excellent.

Bishopton through time

Bishopton is now part of Darlington district. Click here for graphs and data of how Darlington has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bishopton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishopton, in Darlington and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4172

Date accessed: 14th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bishopton".