Place:


Germansweek  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Germansweek like this:

GERMANSWEEK, or Week-St. Germans, a parish in Okehampton district, Devon; on an affluent of the river Tamar, 7½ miles N of Coryton r. station, and 13 N by W of Tavistock. Post town, Bridestow, North Devon. Acres, 2, 594. Real property, £1, 355. Pop., 325. Houses, 57. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the p. curacy of Broadwood-widger, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is small and ancient; comprises chancel, N tran-sept, and tower; and was recently in disrepair. There are chapels for Baptists and Bible Christians.

Germansweek through time

Germansweek is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Germansweek itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Germansweek in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4167

Date accessed: 28th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Germansweek ".