Frithelstock  Devon


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Frithelstock like this:

FRITHELSTOCK, a parish in Torrington district, Devon; adjacent to the river Torridge, 2 miles W of Great Torrington, and 4½ S by E of Bideford r. station. It contains the hamlets of Frithelstock-Stone and Milford; and its post town is Torrington, North Devon. Acres, 4, 382. Real property, £3, 382. ...

Pop., 635. Houses, 127. The property is divided among a few. A small Augnstinian priory was founded here, in the time of Henry III., by Sir Roger Beauchamp; and was given, along with the manor, by Henry VIII., to Arthur Plantagenet, Viscount Lisle; and the ruins of it still exist. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £116. Patron, F T. Johns, Esq. The church is very ancient, and in tolerable condition. There are chapels for Baptists and Bible Christians at Frithelstock-Stone. There are also charities £13.

Frithelstock through time

Frithelstock is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Frithelstock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Frithelstock, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 30th May 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Frithelstock".