Place:


Smalley  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Smalley like this:

SMALLEY, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Morley parish, Derby; 2½ miles E of Coxbench r. station, and 4 WNW of Ilkeston. It has a post-office‡ under Derby. Acres, 1,578. Real property, £3,059. Pop., 721. Houses, 159. The property is divided among a few. The manor-house is the residence of J. ...


Radford, Esq.; and Kidsley Park belongs to W. D. Lowe, Esq. The living is annexed to Morley. The church was restored and enlarged in 1863. There are a Baptist meeting-house, a national school for girls, a well endowed boys' school, and charities of £40 per annum to poor old colliers.

Smalley through time

Smalley is now part of Amber Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Amber Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Smalley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Smalley, in Amber Valley and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4140

Date accessed: 13th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Smalley ".