Place:


Shipley  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shipley like this:

SHIPLEY, a township, with a il1age, in Heanor parish, Derby; adjacent to the Erewash railway, canal, and river, 2 miles NNW of Ilkeston. It has a r. station with telegraph, of the name of Shipley-Gate. Real property, £7,908; of which £5,000 are in mines, and £73 in the canal. Pop., 688. Houses, 118. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to A. M. Mundy, Esq. Collieries here are worked with a steam-power equal to the power of 500 horses. There is a national school.

Shipley through time

Shipley is now part of Amber Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Amber Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shipley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shipley, in Amber Valley and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4138

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shipley ".