Place:


Sawley  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sawley like this:

SAWLEY, a village, a township, and a parish, in Shardlow district, Derbyshire. The village stands on the river Trent, near the Grand Trunk canal and the Derby and Nottingham railway, 8½ miles E S E of Derby; was once a market town; and has a post-office under Derby, a r. station, and a fair on 12 Nov. ...


The township contains also Wilsthorpe village, and comprises 1, 915 acres. Real property, £3, 557. Pop., 1,082. Houses, 252. The parish contains likewise the township of Long Eaton, and comprises 3, 834 acres. Pop. in 1851, 1, 934; in 1861, 2, 633. Houses, 588. The increase of pop. arose fromfacilities of railway communication, and from erection of steam-factories. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Harrington. The constructing of railway -carriage and railway -wheel works, and the making of fancy nets, are carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is ancient, and has a tower and lofty spire. The p. curacy of Long Eaton is a separate benefice. Three dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £34, are in Sawley; and five dissenting chapels, a national school, and alms-houses are in Long Eaton.

Sawley through time

Sawley is now part of Erewash district. Click here for graphs and data of how Erewash has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sawley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sawley, in Erewash and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4135

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sawley ".