Place:


Normanton  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Normanton like this:

NORMANTON, a parish in Shardlow district, Derbyshire; on the Midland railway, adjacent to Ryknield-street, 2 miles S by W of Derby. It has a postal pillar under Derby. Acres, 1, 362. Real property, £3, 705. Pop., 437. Houses, 89. Normanton House is the residence of R. Sale, Esq.; Peartree House, of G. ...


W. Fox, Esq.; and Little Overhill, of J. Haywood, Esq. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Derby, St. Peter, in the diocese of Lichfield. The church was rebuilt in 1862; is in the decorated English style; and consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with tower and spire. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.

Normanton through time

Normanton is now part of Derby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Normanton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Normanton, in Derby and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4129

Date accessed: 05th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Normanton ".