Place:


Stoke Edith  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stoke Edith like this:

STOKE-EDITH, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; on the Worcester and Hereford railway, 6½ miles E of Hereford. It includes Westhide chapelry, and has a r. station. Post town, Ledbury. Acres, 2,852. Real property, £4,662. Pop., 506. Houses, 101. The manor belonged anciently to the Wallwayns; passed to the Milwaters and others; and, with S.-Edith Park, has belonged, since the time of Charles II., to the Foleys. ...


The living is a rectory, with Westhide, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £470.* Patron, Lady Emily Foley. The church has a low tower and tall spire, and is good. Charities, £6.

Stoke Edith through time

Stoke Edith is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stoke Edith itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stoke Edith in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4124

Date accessed: 26th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stoke Edith ".