Place:


Churchstow  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Churchstow like this:

CHURCHSTOW, a village and a parish in Kingsbridge district, Devon. The village stands near the river Avon, 2 miles NW by N of Kingsbridge, and 7½ S of Kingsbridge Road r. station; and has a post office under Kingsbridge. The parish contains also Venn hamlet and the Kingsbridge workhouse. ...


Acres, 1,877. Real property, with Diptford, North Huish, Kingsbridge, and Dodbrooke, £12,586. Pop., 376. Houses, 53. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to P. S. Lowe, Esq. Leigh, an ancient mansion, now used as a farm-house, belonged to the Hayes, the Oldhams, and the Bickfords. The living is a vicarage, united with Kingsbridge, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £200.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient; consists of nave, chancel, north transept, and south aisles; and was restored in 1849.

Churchstow through time

Churchstow is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Churchstow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Churchstow, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4061

Date accessed: 17th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Churchstow".