Place:


Thurmaston  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thurmaston like this:

THURMASTON, a parochial chapelry, with a village, in Barrow-upon-Soar district, Leicestershire; on the river Soar, 1¼ mile SSW of Syston r. station, and 3½ NNE of Leicester. It comprises North T. township in Barkby parish, and South T. township in Belgrave parish; and it has a post-office under Leicester. ...


Acres, 1,670. Real property, £5,748. Pop., 1,102. Houses, 238. The manor belongs to W. A. Pochin and T. Allen, Esqs. Framework-knitting is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £106.* Patron, the Rev. E. W. Woodcock. The church was recently rebuilt. There are two Methodist chapels, and a national school.

Thurmaston through time

Thurmaston is now part of Charnwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Charnwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thurmaston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thurmaston, in Charnwood and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/406

Date accessed: 29th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Thurmaston".