Place:


Findern  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Findern like this:

FINDERN, or Finderon, a township-chapelry in Mickleover parish, Derbyshire; on the Grand Trunk canal, and on the Birmingham and Derby railway, near the river Trent, about 2 miles N of Willington r. station, and 5 SSW of Derby. Post town, Willington, under Burton-upon-Trent. Real property, £3, 203. ...


Pop., 399. Houses, 90. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Mickle-over, in the diocese of Lichfield. The church was built in 1864, on the site of a previous edifice; is in the decorated English style; and -has a nave 38 feet long, and a chancel 24 feet. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Unitarians.

Findern through time

Findern is now part of South Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Findern itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Findern in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4051

Date accessed: 01st April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Findern ".