Place:


Doveridge  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Doveridge like this:

DOVERIDGE, a village and a parish in the district of Uttoxeter and county of Derby. The village stands on the river Dove, at the boundary with Stafford, adjacent to the North Stafford railway, 1½ mile E by N of Uttoxeter; has a post office under Derby; and was once a market-town. The parish includes also the hamlets of West Broughton, Eaton, and Sedsail. ...


Acres, 4, 278. Real property, £8, 999. Pop., 737. Houses, 150. The property is divided among a few. Doveridge Hall is the seat of Lord Waterpark. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £562.* Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church stands on an eminence, and has a tower and spire. There are Wesleyan and P. Methodist chapels, and a national school.

Doveridge through time

Doveridge is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Doveridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Doveridge in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4043

Date accessed: 11th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Doveridge ".