Place:


Werrington  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Werrington like this:

WERRINGTON, a parish, with a village, in the district of Launceston and county of Devon; adjacent to the river Tamar, 2 miles N of Launceston r. station. Post town, Launceston. Acres, 5,000. Real property, £4,341. Pop., 664. Houses, 126. The manor belonged to Tavistock Abbey; went, at the dissolution, to the Russels: and belongs now to the Duke of Bedford. ...


The Barton estate belonged once to the Drakes; and, with Werrington House, belongs now to the Duke of Northumberland. Slate is quarried. The living is a donative in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £229. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church was rebuilt in 1742. There is a national school.

Werrington through time

Werrington is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Werrington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Werrington in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4038

Date accessed: 12th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Werrington ".