Place:


Chinley  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chinley like this:

CHINLEY, BUGSWORTH, And BROWNSIDE, a township in Glossop parish, Derby; around Chinley railway station, 2 miles NNW of chapel-en-le-Frith. Acres, 3, 805. Real property, £5, 921. Pop., 1, 229. Houses, 247. Here are an Independent chapel and a Wesleyan Methodist chapel; the former served originally by William Bagshaw, "the Apostle of the Peak. "

Chinley through time

Chinley is now part of High Peak district. Click here for graphs and data of how High Peak has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chinley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chinley, in High Peak and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4032

Date accessed: 07th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chinley ".