Place:


Chelmorton  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chelmorton like this:

CHELMORTON, a township-chapelry in Bakewell parish, Derby; near the Buxton railway, 4 miles ESE of Buxton. Post town, Buxton. Real property, £1, 961. Pop., 229. Houses, 52. A barrow, 240 feet in circuit, was opened here in 1782. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £78.* Patron, the Vicar of Bakewell. The church is old, and has a fine spire; and the chancel was restored in 1869. There are an Independent chapel and an endowed school.

Chelmorton through time

Chelmorton is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chelmorton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chelmorton in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4031

Date accessed: 26th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chelmorton ".