Place:


Hampreston  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hampreston like this:

HAMPRESTON, a parish in the district of Wimborne, and counties of Dorset and Hants; on the river Stour, near the Southampton and Dorchester railway, 3¼ miles ESE of Wimborne Minster. It includes the hamlet of Longham, which has a post office under Wimborne. Acres, 4, 948. Real property, £, 260. ...


Pop., 341. Houses, 295. Pop. of the Dorset portion, 1, 115. Houses, 246. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to Ainlfus, the Conqueror's chamberlain. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £282.* Patrons, the Rev. H. T. Glyn and others. The church is early and later English; and was enlarged in the early part of the present century. There are two dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic convent, two national schools, and charities £50.

Hampreston through time

Hampreston is now part of East Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hampreston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hampreston, in East Dorset and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3994

Date accessed: 19th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hampreston ".