Place:


Hevingham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hevingham like this:

HEVINGHAM, a village and a parish in Aylsham district, Norfolk. The village stands near the line of projected railway from Norwich to Cromer, 3 miles S by E of Aylsham, and 8½ N by W of Norwich r. station; is irregularly built; and has a post office under Norwich. The parish comprises 2, 855 acres. ...


Real property, £2, 627. Pop., 838. Houses, 188. Rippon Hall is a chief residence. A palace of the bishops of Norwich anciently stood at the village, but has completely disappeared. About 300 acres are heath. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £459.* Patron, the Rev. W. J. Carver. The church has a fine porch and an embattled tower; was recently repaired; and contains an ancient font. There are a Wesleyan chapel, about 159 acres of allotment for the poor, and charities £13.

Hevingham through time

Hevingham is now part of Broadland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broadland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hevingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hevingham, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3963

Date accessed: 05th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hevingham ".