Place:


Garboldisham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Garboldisham like this:

GARBOLDISHAM, a village and a parish in Guiltcross district, Norfolk. The village stands in the vale of a rivulet, near the river Waveney and the boundary with Suffolk, 4¼ miles SSE of Harling-Road r. station, and 8¾ E by S of Thetford; and has a post office under Thetford. The parish comprises 2, 705 acres. ...


Real property, £4, 406. Pop., 701. Houses, 170. The property is divided among three. Garboldisham Hall is a chief residence. There were formerly two parishes, St. John and All Saints; and these are still recognised ecclesiastically. The livings of both are rectories in the diocese of Norwich; but are united. Value, £491.* Patron, the Hon. Mrs. M. Montgomerie. The church of St. John is a find building, in tolerable condition; has a handsome porch and a large square tower; and contains monuments of the Montgomeries. The church of All Saints was taken down in last century; but the tower of it remains. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities £57.

Garboldisham through time

Garboldisham is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Garboldisham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Garboldisham, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3958

Date accessed: 01st August 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Garboldisham ".