Place:


Scottow  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scottow like this:

SCOTTOW, a village and a parish in Aylsham district, Norfolk. The village stands 4½ miles S S W of North Walsham r. station and 10 from Norwich; and has a post-office under Norwich, an inn called the Horse Shoes, and an Odd Fellows' meeting-room. The parish comprises 2, 120 acres. Real property, £4, 472. Pop. in 1851, 550; in 1861, 454. Houses, 102. The manor belongs to Sir H. J. Durrant, Bart. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Belaugh, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is good, and has a high tower. There are a parochial school and a poors' allotment of 21 acres.

Scottow through time

Scottow is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Scottow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scottow in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3917

Date accessed: 27th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Scottow ".