Place:


Exbury  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Exbury like this:

EXBURY, a parish in New Forest district, Hants; at the mouth of the river Beanlieu, nearly opposite Cowes, 4 miles SW of Fawley, and 7½ ENE of Lymington r. station. It includes the tything of Lepe, and has a post office under Southampton. Acres, 3, 066; of which 660 are water. Real property, £2, 568. ...


Pop., 573. Houses, 69. Exbury House is the seat of the Mitfords. White brick-clay is found. The living is a vicarage, under the rectory of Fawley, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £325. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is a recent structure of white brick; and contains a monument to Mitford the historian.

Exbury through time

Exbury is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Exbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Exbury, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3912

Date accessed: 24th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Exbury ".