Place:


Potter Heigham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Potter Heigham like this:

HEIGHAM-POTTER, a parish in Tunstead district, Norfolk; near the rivers Bure and Thurne, 6¾ miles N by E of Acle, and 10½ NE by N of Brundall r. station. Post town, Ludham, under Norwich. Acres, 2, 527. Real property, £4, 350. Pop., 439. Houses, 92. Nearly half of the land is marsh or waste; and there are a lake of 100 acres, and a piece of water called Heigham-Ponds. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £263.* Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is ancient; has a tower, circular below, octagonal above; and contains the tomb of Bishop Hall.

Potter Heigham through time

Potter Heigham is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Potter Heigham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Potter Heigham in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3911

Date accessed: 15th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Potter Heigham ".