Place:


Southborough  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Southborough like this:

SOUTHBOROUGH, a village and a chapelry in Tunbridge parish, Kent. The village stands 2 miles N of Tunbridge-Wells r. station; was formerly the chief abode of visitors to the mineral waters of that town; and has a post-office under Tunbridge-Wells. The chapelry was constituted in 1831. Real property, £14,184. ...


Pop., 2,038. Houses, 424. The property is much subdivided. S. Park, S. Hall, S. Lodge, Great Bounds Parks, Bentham Hill, and Broom Hill are chief residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £153.* Patrons, Five Trustees. The church stands picturesquely on a common, and contains 730 sittings. Another but smaller church was built in 1861, at the expense of Mrs. Pugh; and is under that lady's patronage. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £50 a year, a national school, a public reading room and library, a refuge for six widows, and charities £20.

Southborough through time

Southborough is now part of Tunbridge Wells district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tunbridge Wells has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Southborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Southborough, in Tunbridge Wells and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/39

Date accessed: 17th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Southborough ".