Place:


Arlington  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Arlington like this:

ARLINGTON, a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon; near East Down, 6 miles NNE of Barnstaple r. station. It has a post office under Barnstaple. Acres, 2,535. Real property, £2,622. Pop., 219. Houses, 37. The manor belongs to the Chichester family,-came into their possession in the time of Henry VII.; and Arlington Court, the family seat, is a very handsome edifice. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £272.* Patron, Sir A. P. B. Chichester, Bart. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt a few years ago; is in the Gothic style, and contains many memorials of the Chichesters. Charities, £4.

Arlington through time

Arlington is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Arlington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Arlington in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3897

Date accessed: 19th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Arlington ".