Place:


Boyton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Boyton like this:

BOYTON, a parish chiefly in Launceston district, Cornwall, and partly in Holsworthy district, Devon; on the Bude canal and the river Tamar, 5 miles N by W of Launceston r. station, and 17 N NW of Tavistock. It includes Northcott hamlet; and has a post office under Launceston, and a fair on the third Monday of Aug. ...


Acres, 4,956. Real property, £2,651. Pop., 476. Houses, 92. The property is divided among a few. Bradridge, the old seat of the Hoblyns, and Beardon, also an old seat, are now farmhouses. Manganese mines were worked, but have been discontinued. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £120.* Patron, the Rev. J. G. Dangar. The church is good.-Agnes Rest, a martyr of the time of Mary, resided at Northcott.

Boyton through time

Boyton is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Boyton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Boyton, in North Cornwall and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3894

Date accessed: 29th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Boyton ".