Place:


Milton  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Milton like this:

MILTON, a village and a parish in Chesterton district, Cambridge. The village stands near the river Cam and the Cambridge and Ely railway, 1½ mile N by E of Cam bridge-Junction r. station, and 3½ NNE of Cambridge; and has a post office under Cambridge. The parish comprises 1,378 acres. ...


Real property, £4,367. Pop., 494. Houses, 113. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £550. * Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church is decorated English, in good condition; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower; and contains a brass of Justice Coke, of the year 1553, and several monuments to the Knight family, one of them by Flaxman another by Chantrey. There are a national school and charities £64. Cole the antiquary, who left 100 volumes of manuscripts to the British museum, was a resident.

Milton through time

Milton is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Milton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milton in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3818

Date accessed: 19th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Milton ".