Place:


Leverington  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leverington like this:

LEVERINGTON, a village, a parish, and a dis-district, in Wisbeach district, Cambridge. The village stands near the boundary with Norfolk, 1 mile W of the river Nen, and 2 NW by N of Wisbeach r. station; and has a post office under Wisbeach. The parish contains also the hamlets of Drove-Fen, Swan-Gull, and Murrow, and the chapelry of Parson-Drove. ...


Acres, 7,871. Real property, £21,249. Pop., 2,143. Houses, 460. The property is subdivided; and several of the landowners farm their own estates. The surface was formerly fen; but now, in general, has a rich loamy soil. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £2,350. * Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is early English; was restored and beautified in 1856; comprises nave, aisles, chancel, and porch, with tower and spire; and contains sedilia, an ancient font, and several monuments. The p. curacy of Parson-Drove is a separate benefice. A chantry was formerly at Fitten-End; and an hospital was anciently at the village. There are an endowed school with £48 a year, and other charities, with £450. Bishop Warren and Nasmith the editor of Tanner's "Notitia," were rectors.—The sub-district contains also three other parishes. Acres, 25,524. Pop., 5,385. Houses, 1.178.

Leverington through time

Leverington is now part of Fenland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fenland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leverington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leverington, in Fenland and Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3812

Date accessed: 04th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leverington ".