Place:


Isel  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Isel like this:

ISELL, or ISALL, a village, a township, and a parish in Cockermouth district, Cumberland. The village stands on the river Derwent, 3 miles NE of Cockermouth r. station. The township bears the name of Blindcrake, Isell, and Redmain. Real property, £6, 780. Pop., 335. Houses, 72. The parish contains also the townships of Isell Old Park and Sunderland. ...


Posttown, Cockermouth. Acres, 6, 760. Real property, £8, 561. Pop., 492. Houses, 99. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Isell Hall, belongs to Sir W. Lawson, Bart. Building stone is quarried; and coal and copper ore were formerly worked. A bridge of 1691 here spans the Derwent. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £157.* Patron, Sir W. Lawson, Bart. The church is ancient but good, and has a bell turret.

Isel through time

Isel is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Isel itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Isel, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3773

Date accessed: 28th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Isel ".