Hensingham  Cumberland


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hensingham like this:

HENSINGHAM, a village and a chapelry in St. Bees parish, Cumberland. The village stands on a rising ground, 1 mile SE of Whitehaven r. station; has a postoffice under Whitehaven; and conducts some trade in linen thread, linen fabrics, and ropes. The chapelry comprises 956 acres. Real property, £5, 420. ...

Pop. in 1851, 1, 336; in 1861, 1, 538. Houses, 314. Hensingham House was the seat of the Senhouses. Limestone is extensively quarried and calcined. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £126.* Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is modern; and there are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and a national school. Archbishop Grindall was a native.

Hensingham through time

Hensingham is now part of Copeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Copeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hensingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hensingham, in Copeland and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 22nd June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hensingham".