Place:


Gilcrux  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gilcrux like this:

GILCRUX, a parish in Cockermouth district, Cumberland; on the river Ellen, adjacent to the Carlisle and Maryport railway, about a mile from Bull-Gill r. station, and 5½ NNW of Cockermouth. Post town, Plumbland, under Carlisle. Acres, 1, 964. Real property, £4, 728; of which £2, 000 are in mines. ...


Pop. in 1851, 504; in 1861, 653. Houses, 117. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of coal mines. The property is divided among a few. Coal, limestone, and freestone, abound. There are numerous springs of excellent water. and a remarkable spring of salt-water. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £100. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is ancient An endowed school has £24.

Gilcrux through time

Gilcrux is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gilcrux itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gilcrux, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3767

Date accessed: 07th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gilcrux ".