Place:


Tilston  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tilston like this:

TILSTON, a township and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. .The township lies 3 miles NW of Malpas, and 7 SSW of Tattenhall r. station. Acres, 758. Real property, £1,572. Pop., 382. Houses, 89. The parish contains 4 other townships, and comprises 3,644 acres. Post town, Malpas, under Whitchurch. ...


Pop., 817. Houses, 176. Three manors, with Carden Hall, belong to J. H. Leche, Esq.; Horton manor, to the Rev. J. Y. Dod; and Grafton, to Lord Stanley of Alderley. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester Value, £336.* Patron, alternately the Marquis of Cholmondeley and T. T. Drake, Esq. The church is good. There are two Methodist chapels, an endowed school with 16 a year, and charities, £5.

Tilston through time

Tilston is now part of Chester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tilston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tilston, in Chester and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3723

Date accessed: 13th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tilston".