Place:


Norton  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norton like this:

NORTON, a village and a township in Runcorn parish, Cheshire. The village stands near the Grand Junction and the Mersey and Irwell canals, and near the junction of the Crewe and Warrington and the Chester and Manchester railways, 1½ mile S of the river Mersey, and 3½ N E of Frodsham; and has a railway station. ...


The township extends to the Mersey; and comprises 2, 179 acres of land, and 290 of water. Real property, £4, 501. Pop., 380. Houses, 48. The property belongs to Sir Richard Brooke, Bart. An Augustinian canonry, founded at Runcorn in 1133 by William Fitz-Nigell, was removed to Norton by his son; had land endowments in the counties of Nottingham, Leicester, and Oxford; and received large benefactions from Edward the Black Prince. Norton Priory, the seat of Sir R. Brooke, Bart., occupies the site of the canonry; is an old quadrangular edifice; was besieged in 1643; and stands in a park of about 115 acres.

Norton through time

Norton is now part of Halton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Halton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norton, in Halton and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3673

Date accessed: 17th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norton ".