Place:


Ness  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ness like this:

NESS, a village and a township in Neston parish, Cheshire. The village stands near the shore of the Dee'sestuary, 1¼ mile S S E of Great Neston; and is a pleasantplace. The township comprises 2, 375 acres of land, and 1,060 of water. Real property, £1, 643. Pop. in 1851, 454; in 1861, 346. Houses, 70. About 16 houses weretaken down between 1851 and 1861. Much of the landbelongs to Sir R. Errington, Bart.; and Den Hall is the seat of Mrs. Stanley.

Ness through time

Ness is now part of Ellesmere Port and Neston district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ellesmere Port and Neston has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ness itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ness, in Ellesmere Port and Neston and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3665

Date accessed: 17th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ness ".