Place:


Milton  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Milton like this:

MILTON, a village and a parish in Abingdon district, Berks. The village stands near a small affluent of the river Thames, 1 mile NE of Steventon r. station, and 3 S by W of Abingdon; and has a post office under Steventon. The parish comprises 1,431 acres. Real property, £3,246. Pop., 429. ...


Houses, 93. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Milton House, belongs to J. B. Barrett, Esq. Milton House is a Tudor edifice, built by Inigo Jones; and has attached to it a Roman Catholic chapel, with ancient stained-glass windows. Milton Hill is the seat of J. S. Bowles, Esq. The parish is a meet for the old Berkshire hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £560. * Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church has lately been thoroughly restored, and has a good decorated porch and a tower. There are an endowed school with £67 a year, and charities £34.

Milton through time

Milton is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Milton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milton, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3637

Date accessed: 28th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Milton ".