Place:


Godley  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Godley like this:

GODLEY, a township and a chapelry in Mottram parish, Cheshire. The township lies on the verge of the county, at a junction of railways, adjacent to Hyde, 3 miles SSE of Ashton-under-Lyne; and has a station at the railway junction. Acres, 639. Real property, £6, 059; of which £25 are in gas-works. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1, 353; in 1861, 1, 185. Houses, 236. The decrease of pop. was occasioned by discontinuance of employment in cotton mills. The manor was held, in the time of King John, by the family of Godleigh; and belongs now to the Tollemaches. The chapelry bears the name of Godley-cum-Newton-Green; and was constituted in 1847. Post town, Newton-Moor, under Manchester. Pop., 2, 209. Houses, 435. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £200.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The churchwasbuiltin 1850.

Godley through time

Godley is now part of Tameside district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tameside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Godley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Godley, in Tameside and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3606

Date accessed: 17th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Godley".