Place:


Eddisbury  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eddisbury like this:

EDDISBURY, a township and a hundred in Cheshire. The township is in Delamere parish, and lies in Delamere forest, 7½ miles SW of Northwich. Acres, 3, 890. Real property, £1, 634; of which £30 are in quarries. Pop., 228. Houses, 41. It was known to the Saxons as Eadersbyrig; it had a fortification belonging. ...


to Ethelfleda, and now occupied by a lodge; and it gives the title of baron to the Stanleys of Alderley. -The hundred lies around the township; contains eleven parishes and parts of six others; and is cut into two divisions, East and West. Acres of the E. div., 46, 009; of the W. div., 46, 863. Pop. of both, 30, 339. Houses, 6, 135.

Eddisbury through time

Eddisbury is now part of Vale Royal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale Royal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eddisbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eddisbury, in Vale Royal and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3602

Date accessed: 17th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eddisbury ".