Place:


Enborne  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Enborne like this:

ENBORNE, or Enbourne, a parish in Newbury district, Berks; adjacent to the Kennet and Avon canal, and near the Berks and Hants railway, 2¼ miles SW by W of Newbury. Post town, Newbury. Acres, 2, 485. Real property, £3, 674. Pop., 412. Houses, 90. The property is divided among a few. ...


The Enborne river divides the parish, on the S, from Hants. A curious custom of free bench to a widow formerly prevailed in Enborne manor; is humorously described by Addison in the Spectator; and has been superseded by an equivalent in money. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £416. Patron, the Earl of Craven. The church is ancient but good.

Enborne through time

Enborne is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Enborne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Enborne in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3600

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Enborne".