Place:


Burghfield  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burghfield like this:

BURGHFIELD, or Burfield, a parish in Bradfield district, Berks; on the river Kennet, and on the Reading and Basingstoke railway, 2½ miles N of Mortimer station, and 5 SW of Reading. It has a post office under Reading. Acres, 4,237. Real property, £6,996. Pop., 1,139. Houses, 256. The property is much subdivided. ...


Part of the land is common. A bed of sand and cockle shells a foot thick, under soft stone, was found at Hose hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £700.* Patron, the Earl of Shrewsbury. The church was rebuilt in 1843. There are two Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £21.

Burghfield through time

Burghfield is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burghfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burghfield in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3594

Date accessed: 27th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burghfield ".