Place:


Bourton  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bourton like this:

BOURTON, a tything in Shrivenham parish, Berks; on the Wilts and Berks canal, and on the Great Western railway, about a mile from Shrivenham station. Real property, £2,545. Pop., 328. Houses, 72. A church was built here in 1861, in the geometric style There are also a Baptist chapel, a neat free school, and six alms-houses.

Bourton through time

Bourton is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bourton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bourton, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3591

Date accessed: 20th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bourton".