Turvey  Bedfordshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Turvey like this:

TURVEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district and county of Bedford. The village stands on the river Ouse, 5¼ miles W of Oakley r. station, and 8 WNW of Bedford; and has a post-office under Bedford. The parish comprises 3,944 acres. Real property, £5,920. Pop., 1,093. ...

Houses, 228. The manor, with T. Abbey, belongs to L. Higgins, Esq. T. House, T. Cottage, Woodside, Laws Hill, Holmwood, and Picts Hill are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £458.* Patron, W. F. Higgins, Esq. The church was recently enlarged and beautified. There are two dissenting chapels, a national school, a reading room, a reformatory, and charities £116.—The sub-district contains three parishes. Acres, 9,280. Pop., 2,407. Houses, 510.

Turvey through time

Turvey is now part of Bedford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bedford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Turvey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Turvey, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 27th October 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Turvey ".